Thursday, July 18, 2013

The World Today



The night was dark. The sky was cloudless. A gentle breeze blew as my mother and I were taking our usual stroll around our neighbourhood. It was during walks like these where we able to have some mother-daughter quality time together.

We walked in comfortable silence; taking in what the night offered – street lights that lit up bright enough to grant us a sense of security and dim enough to show the roads. Dogs were lying lazily at the side of the road, probably, after a satisfying dinner.

Our footsteps were in sync. Like mother like daughter, I smiled at the thought. Mother wanted to share something with me, but she was hesitant. However, in the end, she gave in. She reckoned I was old enough to absorb and accept whatever that she was going to tell me.

She brought my attention to the extremely heart aching incident that took place not too long ago. It involved a father of three (aged 2, 14 and 17) – who was unable to pay his huge amount of debts – who came up with a plan to put his entire family to death. He reckoned that, that was the only way to “save” and “protect” his family from the threatening of loan sharks. He got his murder weapons – sleeping pills and gas tanks – ready. He was prepared to bid the world goodbye. However things did not go as planned. Apparently the amount of gas in the room was not enough to kill his wife, so he had to suffocate her to death. His seventeen-year-old son witness everything and he managed to escape. He climbed into his neighbour’s house and called for help. The neighbours called the police and the killer was arrested.

One man’s problem brought so much devastation. Never in my life I would have imagined one putting one’s family to death because of one’s irresponsibility. It’s so ridiculous. I felt annoyed, confused and, mostly, angry. That man had killed his own flesh and blood! Innocent lives were sacrificed! As far as I am concerned, death is not an option and it is NEVER a solution. Plus, no human has the right to determine another’s death. What is happening to this world? The world is becoming so disgusting to the point where I am starting to lose sight of humanity.

What happened to the smiles that strangers used to give so generously? What happened to the helping hand that passer by would offer whenever someone is in need? The world has turned into a heartless environment, which has also hardened the hearts of man. People stopped being nice because they are afraid that they might be taken advantaged on.

The news reported on the dailies has been a sore to the eye. From the countless rape cases to the cold-hearted abandonment of newborn babies to the increase of abortion rate to merciless killings and bombings, it saddens me tremendously. As much as my heart aches for all these vile actions, I believe God is going through much more pain than I am. Imagine God witnessing his creation causing so much chaos and wickedness, it breaks His heart every single time.

How did evilness appear in the picture anyway? Not one soul was born evil. What then, allowed the wicked thoughts to invade the minds of the world? Frankly speaking I have no clue. In my opinion, no one can be put to blame. After all, you are responsible for your own thoughts and actions.

My mind pondered to the little children of this world. I pictured them playing so happily in the park, oblivious to the happenings of this world. Oh how I wish I could be like them again!

It was tough listening to my mother’s storytelling of the unwanted incident. As much as I did not want to accept the ruthless reality, I have to, because it is real. No matter how much I try to deny it, it’s a fact that I can never change.

Soon, we were home. Before I entered the door of my house, I let out a deep breath and fling my head backwards. My eyes met with hundreds of stars that were twinkling away in the night sky.

Indeed, it was a magnificent sight. They acted as a reminder to me – no matter how ugly the world may become, there is still beauty in this world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment